Thursday, June 2, 2011

I...can do this. (I think!)




Since 2008, when I officially started going back to school for nursing, I have dreamed about the time when I would sign my name with RN behind it. Then, in 2010, when I actually started the nursing program, I could actually see myself doing some of the skills that we were learning about. I couldn't wait to give out meds, start IV infusions, insert foley catheters, etc! (I know what you're thinking: WEIRDO!) But I also couldn't wait to take care of patients. To be their advocate, their sounding board, their educator....THIS is what I wanted to do.

But now, I'm a little worried.

Because, you see, it's not just a dream, or goal, or possibility. Tomorrow night is my first real shift as a student nurse intern. And while I am restricted in what I can do, there will be certain skills I will be able to perform. I will be doing assessments, which are extremely important. I will have the opportunity to start intravenous lines, perform wound care, irrigate NG tubes.....am I ready for this? You would think I would have a little experience, but the truth is with all the clinicals I have had, I have VERY little experience.

So here it is: my first shift. Tomorrow night. And while I'm nervous and worried and anxious, I am also very, very excited. So I guess I will dive right in...I just hope no one notices the jitters.

2 comments: